I bit the bullet — a $239.00 phaser flavored bullet! “You have successfully purchased Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription!” OK … so I’ve told you I was burnt with Champions On-Line in the past, as I bought 3 lifetime accounts for me and my boys. So why is this Cryptic product different from the last one? I love Star Trek. I love the stories. I love the movies. I love Next Generation, The Original Series, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. I even love the new movie. The fundamental nerd that I am brings Star Trek terminology into my daily vocabulary.
I promise to get back to Story Matters soon (as I know I have been in previous articles), but Siege of Mirkwood and the Star Trek Online releases are a wee bit distracting! Let me tell you about my lifetime account and collector’s edition benefits according to the data on the STO official web site:
The lifetime account delivers a couple of benefits according to the STO website:
- Playable Borg
- 2 Additional Character Slots
Q: What are the playable Borg’s in-game traits?
A: The Liberated Borg begins with the following two traits. You can select another two traits from a general list.
Borg Nanites: +10% Health Regeneration
Description: Ground Trait. Constantly regenerates shields and health.
Efficient: +5 Starship Shield Efficiency, +5 Starship Engine Efficiency, +5 Starship Energy Weapon Efficiency, +5 Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency
Description: Space Trait. Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.
The Liberated Borg also has a unique optional trait.
Neural Blast: 30 second debuff. Drastically reduces run speed. Every 4 seconds, Neural Blast has a 40% chance to hold the target for 3 seconds.
Description: Ground Trait. Inject the target with neural toxins, which continually attempt to hold the target for the duration. Also reduces the target’s movement speed.
In addition, since I bought my retail Collector’s Edition at GameStop, I receive the following benefits:
Collector’s Edition Benefits:
- Deluxe Packaging: Futuristic 3dX holography set in a high quality brushed aluminum finish. Heavy duty construction with magnetic closures and nested compartments for all components.
- Deluxe Manual: High end, hardbound, art book, manual, and disc case in a single, elegant package. “HD Printing” on over 40 glossy pages of exclusive art from the Star Trek Online Universe.
- Communicator Badge: High quality cast metal design based on the in-game badge model. Fully 3d Sculpted with recessed burst and curved contours.
- Guest Passes: Credit card style buddy passes to invite three of your friends for a ten day trial of Star Trek Online.
- Red Matter Capacitor: A unique item that charges up and delivers extra energy to all of your ship’s equipment for a short time. A device that, when used, gives you a small bump in energy, has a long recharge.
- Next Generation Uniform: Uniform Options from the Next Generation. The timeless look worn by Picard, Data and Riker.
- “Deep Space Nine” Uniform: Uniform Options from the “Deep Space Nine” Series. Grey shoulders, on a black uniform, just like Sisko, Worf and Dax.
Each retailer has different benefits, so you need to check here for the details relevant to your favorite retail partner:
My GameStop deal also offers me a Constitution Class starship I mentioned in the first impressions article in addition to the Borg that I will receive for ordering the lifetime account.
My cryptic moment:
“Dear XavierMorgan, This email is to confirm that you have activated the followings:
Star Trek Online – Preorder
This email is to confirm that you have purchased Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription for $239.99 USD
Thank you for choosing Star Trek Online! Sincerely, The Cryptic Account Team This automated informational email has been sent to you as part of your Star Trek Online subscription. Please do NOT reply to this email, as we are unable to respond to your reply from this address.
Cryptic Studios “